Monday 18 April 2011

Phone finding blues

I've settled it recently that the time has definitely arrived for a new phone. Its decided, done, definite.
I've had my little teeny samsung for about 3 and a half years, In human years that'd probably be about 30. In todays world of everyone getting new phones every 6 months, its served me well and I love it almost as much as I loved kitkat chunky peanut butter, but the crack has got bigger, the camera won't take pictures anymore and the mp3's are a bit hit and miss when it comes to playing them.

And so began the task of finding a new one, a task that has been about 25 times harder than I thought it would be.

The first one I came across the other week in the early days of looking for a new phone, before everything go so complicated was a really sweet little model called the LG pop. I was pretty excited about it at first, it was so small! And seemed quite decent. But with further research into other phones, I realised it was really basic, and I got greedy. For not too much extra cash there are phones with a lot more going for them. So with a heavy heart I have resigned the little pop to the reject bin, which is such a shame cause I love the size and shape so much, and if it had a few extra things I'd have been all over it like a wet flannel. But there are a few others that I have my eye on that also look good, and I'd rather pay a little extra for a fair bit more.

I won't go into them all, but one day last week, armed with my mam because I am scared of phone salespeople, I had a quick look around all the phone shops in town. Which was only slightly helpful. Phone sales people are so awful, not personally of course, but it really makes me so uncomfortable going into those places cause they're just so vulture like. Since attacking google post phone shop mooching, I'm ready for another go. Going into town with my mam again tomorrow and this time I'm going to have a more thorough examination of whats about.

There are many things that I'm finding I just can't process about phones these days, its insane. I don't even mean techy wise. For one thing phones are so huge and ugly these days! I know I'm used to my tiny zoolander phone, but some of the ones I've seen have been about the size of, I dunno, something BIG. Giant phones are bad. Also its completely normal for phones now to cost hundreds of pounds. Hundreds and hundreds. For a phone. If I was going to pay 3 months wages for a phone, I would expect it to make me breakfast in bed, give me massages and tidy my room for me. I just don't understand how anyone can think its reasonable to pay that much, or how companies think its reasonable to charge that much. I suppose if you're on a contract maybe it doesn't work out as that expensive, maybe you get a good deal. I dunno, I don't really know anything about it. But anyway, sheesh. Who needs a phone with a 27 million mega pixel camera and sat nav and the ability to play the whole series of tomb raider. Crazy.

Back in the world of all things non phone related, I still have not located my USB thing for my camera, which is even more annoying now because firstly my last 3 posts have been massive walls of text and secondly I've taken so many pictures over the weekend that I want to post. I'll have another hunt for it tonight.

Went for a walk up the river to the barrage with my mam yesterday evening, it'd be a beautiful afternoon and the walk was nice. On the way there we seen a horrible skagy stocktonian woman shouting the most offensive racist sweary abuse at the taxi drivers at the rank, for, I'm assuming, refusing to take her anywhere. (don't blame them). Then got further up the road 5 minutes later to witness the armed response unit and loads of police cars and some incident going down. Police with guns, everyone stopping to look (including us haha!) Dunno what happened in the end, we didn't hang around and not much action was going on. The rest of the walk was trouble free.

Also discovered a new shop in town, possibly about to open, possibly already open. It was so cool, it had just loads of second hand books, for free! They've saved them otherwise going to landfil and you can just go in and donate what you want. What a great idea, absoloutely can't wait to go in.

I had a chill out today about working at Clintons, in regards to all the ranting I did about it in the last post. I still mean everything I said previously. But I know I should be grateful and it could be a lot worse. I could still be jobless, and really I'm so happy that I have one. And theres not one person at work who I don't like, so really I'm a lucky mofo. I'm still on the lookout for anything else though!

Just on a final note, a old man came into work today, to return a single envelope, saying that he'd bought a bundle of cards recently and when he'd wrote them all out, he realized he had one left over. I think thats the sweetest nicest thing I've heard in a very long time. Just a simple little act, I mean I know he probably was just in town anyway, don't think he'd have came down especially just for that one thing. But it really warmed my cockles (whatever cockles are) and he was just so cute. I love old people :)

No comments: